flag
back Back
Arsenal make decision over selling Myles Lewis-Skelly as Mikel Arteta enforces strict rule
Arsenal make decision over selling Myles Lewis-Skelly as Mikel Arteta enforces strict rule

Arsenal have made a final decision over selling Myles Lewis-Skelly this summer amid interest from Manchester United.

Lewis-Skelly came through the Gunners' academy, and can play at left-back or in central midfield.

He broke through into Arsenal's first team at the start of the 2024/25 season and has since made 75 appearances in all competitions, as well as earning his debut England cap under Thomas Tuchel.

But he struggled for playing time last season as Arsenal strengthened in both defence and midfield, and he was often an unused substitute during the second half of the campaign.

The 19-year-old ultimately missed out on a spot in England's World Cup squad, with Tuchel praising Lewis-Skelly during a November press conference but stating that 'it is not enough to just be a good tourist'.

The Independent reported last week that Manchester United were exploring the signing of Lewis-Skelly as a potential alternative to Lewis Hall, who Newcastle deem as 'untouchable'.

It is claimed that United are 'long-term admirers' of the Arsenal youngster, with the fact that he could be sold by the Gunners - in terms of Premier League financial regulations - as 'pure profit' encouraging them that a deal could be done.

While the two clubs remain bitter rivals, transfers have been completed between them in the past - most notably in the cases of Robin van Persie and Alexis Sanchez.

But the idea of United managing to sign one of Arsenal's biggest young prospects would be a bitter pill for Gunners fans to swallow - and it appears they need not worry.

Arsenal block Lewis-Skelly offers as clear stance set

That's according to Football Insider, who claim that Arsenal have no intention of selling Lewis-Skelly this summer and are prepared to block any offers.

That includes the refusal of any offers from Premier League clubs, with Arsenal determined not to lose any of their important players to a top Premier League rival.

Their stance indicates just how far the reigning Premier League champions have come under manager Mikel Arteta, with the Gunners previously not in a position where they could turn down transfer interest from the likes of Manchester City and Manchester United.

They will therefore recoup their potentially significant summer transfer spending by other means.

Arteta's side have already spent £35 million to sign Greece winger Christos Tzolis from Club Brugge, while they have had a bid in the region of £75 million accepted by Newcastle for their captain Bruno Guimaraes.

There is money set aside to complete the blockbuster signing of Vinicius Junior as well, with the 26-year-old winger yet to agree a new contract with Real Madrid ahead of his current deal's expiry in June 2027.

Vinicius held a meeting with Real chiefs on Wednesday afternoon at the club's training ground, where he is said to have been told that Arsenal's interest is 'real and concrete'.

The Brazilian would become one of the highest-earning Premier League players of all-time if he were to move to north London, with The Athletic's David Ornstein reporting that Arsenal are willing to offer him 'something exceptional' in comparison to their current wage structure.

You may like

Man Utd news: Marcus Rashford 'key to £51m transfer' as Michael Carrick 'axes four stars'

The Daily Star 1 week ago

Another massive Arsenal transfer collapses as rejection list rises to five

football365.com 17 hours ago

Marcus Rashford 'new Man United shirt number' bombshell as Michael Carrick's intentions clear

Manchester Evening News 9 hours ago

Sir Alex Ferguson Named Defender Who Was His 'Favourite' Player Over Messi and Zidane

givemesport.com 8 hours ago

Arsenal choose Vinicius Junior alternative and he’ll cost well in excess of €100m

football365.com 12 hours ago

Liverpool agree deal for £47m star as Man Utd confirm transfer and Arsenal revive £85m interest

Wales Online 16 hours ago

Jose Mourinho reveals he signed contract to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United

Mirror 27 minutes ago

Antony shown red card in brawl with midfielder linked to Manchester United

centredevils.co.uk 13 hours ago

Arsenal news: Julian Alvarez transfer update clear as £85m signing back on the cards

The Daily Star 19 hours ago

Arsenal news: £70m deal done as Mikel Arteta misses out on one transfer but lands another

The Daily Star 2 weeks ago